So you may have heard that Shakira became the most popular person on Facebook after hitting 100 million likes week – the most likes any public figure on Facebook has ever achieved.
I don’t think Shakira is as popular here in New Zealand as she is overseas, but I did wonder how she managed to pull of such a huge feat in social media land.
Due to the combination of Shakira’s global appeal, her style of posts (both personal and music–related), her engagement with fans and her overall likability, Shakira has mastered her popularity on Facebook by hitting 100 million likes.
Of this milestone Shakira said: "I am honored and humbled about reaching this milestone, because it's one that's purely about connecting with my fans from all parts of the globe.
"Social media and specifically Facebook has helped myself and other artists bridge the gap between the stage and the audience.
"We've been able to create a conversation, where both artists and fans can share with one another their thoughts, achievements, the most important moments of their lives in photographs and videos, and have a real, ongoing dialogue."
To celebrate this milestone, Shakira shared a great Lookback Video on her page that takes you through some of the top moments she has shared on her page.
Attached is an infographic that shows some interesting statistics about Shakira’s popularity on Facebook.
Here are some key statistics about Shakira’s Facebook presence:
* Shakira’s top 20 posts have resulted in 39,687,491 likes
* Shakira’s top 10 most-shared posts have resulted in 16,827,515 likes
* Number of posts with over 2 million likes: 8
* The most-liked post: World Cup image over 3.5m likes in four days
* The most-shared post: Gerard Pique kissing son Milan, 113,987 shares
* Number of posts with over 1 million likes: 25
And here are some examples of Shakira using Facebook throughout the years:
* Thanked her fans when she hit 50 million likes (May 11, 2012)
* Announced her pregnancy (September 19, 2012)
* Posted the first picture of her baby bump (October 6, 2012)
* Announced her “global baby shower” that she partnered with UNICEF for (January 16, 2013)
* Introduced Baby Milan to the world (February 4, 2013)
* Announced title of her upcoming album (January 22, 2014)
* Announced she was the most liked page on Facebook (March 24, 2014)