Apple unveiled what everyone knew it would yesterday at its annual developer conference in the US. Here are further details on what Apple says are the phone's big new features and functions.
You can read our original story of the announcement here.
- The 3.5 inch Retina display has 960 x 640 pixels, which is four times as many pixels as the iPhone 3GS and 78% of the pixels on an iPad.
- iPhone 4 is the thinnest smartphone ever according to Apple at 9.3 millimeters. The front and back are made of aluminosilcate glass, chemically strengthened to be 30 times harder than plastic, more scratch resistant and more durable than ever.
- The front and back glass have an oil-resistant coating that helps keep it clean, and encircling iPhone 4 is a highly finished stainless steel band made of a custom alloy that is forged to be five times stronger than standard steel.
- iPhone 4 has a five megapixel autofocus camera with a 5x digital zoom, a backside illuminated sensor and built-in LED flash.
- You can now record and edit HD video using the tap to focus feature.
- The new iMovie app lets you combine movie clips, add dynamic transitions and themes and include photos and music. It will be available for US$4.99 through the App Store.
- Every iPhone 4 has a built-in 3-axis gyro that when combined with the accelerometer provides 6-axis motion sensing such as up and down, side to side, forward and backward and pitch and roll, “making it perfect for gaming”.
- iPhone 4 comes with iOS 4 that includes Multitasking, Folders, enhanced Mail, deeper Enterprise support and Apple’s new iAd mobile advertising platform.
- With Multitasking, you can switch between any of their apps while preserving battery life.
- With Folders, you can organise apps into collections by dragging one app on top of another. A folder is automatically created and named based on the category of apps selected. You’ll be able to change the name of any folder at any time.
- It’s now possible to customise the lock and home screens with supplied wallpapers or with your photos.
- The new iBooks app will be available for iPhone 4 as a free download from the App Store and includes Apple’s new iBookstore.
- The iBooks app will sync your current place in a book, along with any bookmarks, highlights and notes you have created, between copies of the same book on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch.
- Apple says that iPhone 4 delivers seven hours of talk time on 3G networks, up to 10 hours of web browsing on Wi-Fi and up to six hours on 3G, and up to 10 hours of video playback and up to 40 hours of audio playback.
- iPhone 4 is powered by the new A4 processor Apple says provides exceptional processor and graphic performance along with long battery life.
- There’s a second microphone and advanced software to suppress unwanted background noise for improved call quality when in loud places.
- iPhone 4 also offers 802.11n Wi-Fi networking and adds quad-band HSUPA to provide 7.2Mbps downlink and 5.8Mbps uplink capability.
- iPhone 4 comes in either black or white.
- iOS 4 software will be available on June 21 as a free software update via iTunes 9.2 or later for iPhone and iPod touch customers.
Vodafone released a statement promising to launch the iPhone 4 in New Zealand in the coming months. It says information on pricing and tariff plans will be made available as soon as possible.